Project Manager Focus: Organizational Development (Senegal)
Firma / Institution
IFOAM - Organics International
Founded in 1972, IFOAM – Organics International works as an agent of change, advocating for true sustainability in agriculture, value chains, and consumption. We are an international non-profit organization with a membership base across around 120 countries and promote a holistic approach to food systems based on the principles of health, ecology, fairness, and care.
It’s an exciting time to join our team! With the launch of our organizational strategy in 2017, we are expanding our activities and are looking to recruit a Project Manager for a newly acquired Project within the special initiative Training and Employment launched by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and handled by SEQUA. The aim of the special initiative is to use innovative formats and flexible instruments to strengthen the conditions for private investment and to create more and better employment opportunities for the rapidly growing young population in Africa. Within the project it is foreseen to strengthen the National Federation for Organic Agriculture in Senegal (FENAB) in order to improve the management capacities of the organization. The project has a duration of 3 years and a budget of approximately 1,5 Mio Euro.
As Project Manager you will be responsible for the entire management and steering of this project. You will ensure the timely and smooth implementation of all activities and take decisions on the resource persons and organizations to be engaged as support. The coordination between all stakeholders lies in your hands, as well as the implementation of a functional monitoring system. Reporting follows the requirements of the donor. You will make sure the project is well anchored in the IFOAM – Organics International Network. One of your main tasks will be to advise FENAB to improve the capabilities and capacities of the Federation. The aim is to coach the partner in a sensible and culturally appropriate manner so that FENAB is a stronger and self-assured organization by the end of the project period. For that reason, you will be based in Senegal, most likely at the partner organization in Thiès, and work directly with FENAB.
As part of the Capacity Development Department, you will report to the Head of Capacity Development, responsible for Programs, and collaborate closely with the Finance team based in Bonn, Germany.
- Ensure smooth management and cooperation among all partners / stakeholders involved;
- Organize and facilitate yearly planning workshops and other technical workshops;
- Manage the timely and effective implementation of all activities.
- Set up the M&E system according to the donor requirements;
- Facilitate the implementation of technical inputs by international and national short-term experts;
- Prepare financial and progress reports according to the donor requirements;
- Coach the partner organization FENAB in a sensible and culturally appropriate way;
- Supervise and integrate experts within the project;
- Coordinate with financial and other staff contributing to the project;
- Coordinate closely with the (West) African organic sector;
- Provide inputs for newsletters and other communications materials;
- Organize a final project progress review.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Relevant university degree in the field of development cooperation, agronomy, or related subjects;
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience (preferably in a development cooperation environment);
- Proven experience in project management with a similar budget, organizational development and sustainable agriculture;
- Experience in coaching and advising partner organizations;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to clearly communicate and interact with diverse partners, and build solid working relationships;
- Excellent networking skills;
- A good understanding of the organic sector in Senegal;
- Knowledge of organic agriculture is appreciated;
- Culturally sensitive and diplomatic;
- Very good oral and written command of French, English and German;
- Computer-literate and proficient in using standard software packages;
We offer a full-time (40 hours/week) position located in Thies, Senegal, backed by a dynamic and multicultural team of 28 members at a well-established international organization with its head office in Bonn. The contract period will match with the project duration. IFOAM – Organics International offers an annual salary equivalent to those offered by other international NGOs of a similar size in Bonn, Germany. A foreign country allowance will be provided addressing the personal status of the incumbent. The social insurance package is based on the German insurance system with special coverage of mission related issues. At the beginning of the assignment a one-month introduction phase at the office in Bonn is foreseen.Bewerbung / Kontakt
How to Apply
Your application must include a cover letter, your CV and salary expectations. Additional documents may be asked for at a later stage. Short-listed candidates will also be asked to provide the names and contact details of two professional references. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please submit your application by email in PDF format to jobs(at)ifoam.bio
We are aiming to fill this position by January 2020 and encourage early applications with a deadline of October 20, 2019.